Wednesday, June 3, 2015

What's in a Name: Tips For Choosing a Business Name

Coconut Calendula Soap

Above is my latest creation. You can see by the state of my shop that I've been keeping busy with working on my summer soaps. After doing a quick search for my blog on google (because I'm lazy that way), I found soap company that is now using the "Soap Kitten" name (whoopsie).  At first, I was shocked, but then realized it's not quite an original idea. :)  I'm glad this happened as it's a good opportunity to discuss marketing/branding and choosing a company name.

While I'm okay with the SK name being used, it's very important that those who are considering company names to do their research!  I just recently underwent this process when I made "Havana Soap Company" official.  I scoured my state's database as well as Google, making sure I wasn't infringing on existing companies when I settled on a name.  After making it official, it's important to grab social media handles on twitter, Facebook and any other sites that you use for marketing. I knew this back in 2007 when I first started the blog, but because it was a blog that was just purely for fun (and still is), I never made the jump to reserving the name.  I'm okay with that, but a good lesson out there for those considering planning on starting a company/brand.

And as a small disclaimer, I'd like to let my readership know that the Soapkitten blog and the Soap Kitten soap company are not affiliated in any way, although I do wish the company best of luck on their new venture! :)

That said, if you haven't been keeping up with my Etsy shop, here are some of the projects I have been working on.  Really feeling the Summer/beach theme. :)

To purchase, feel free to click on the links below.

Happy Soaping Everyone!


Peppermint Rosemary Soap

Mermaid Soap

And a picture of my ADORABLE cat (sorry not for sale).  :) 



No comments:

Post a Comment